Top positive review
1,551 people found this helpful
For Those Yet Unsure What Reviews to Believe...
on August 31, 2018
While the show isn't perfect, there's a lot to be said of the criticism its been receiving. The Tom Clancy books have never been PG-14, and I respect Amazon's choice in tuning the show for a mature audience. Because honestly, its an re-imagining of an already complex, mature and technical series of books.
To address some criticisms:
1. People say that the show has too much nudity and bedroom scenes, but might I remind those who actually have read the books that those weren't short of bedroom scenes either, take Tom Clancy's "Threat Vector" for example. That book alone had 3+ bedroom scenes for various characters.
2. The complaints of the technical aspects of military firearms, aircraft, and protocol aren't unwarranted. I say this as an active duty military officer. But keep in mind that this show is far more accurate than any other of the action shows involving spies and thriller political fiction. Take Harrison Ford's "Clear and Present Danger" as exhibit A in why this show is unfairly held on a pedestal. The insubordination taken by Ryan would NEVER fly though.
3. This is the US Government and Military we're talking about here. Are you seriously going to believe that nobody swears in the real world? In the Navy I know people, myself included, who can barely get through a conversation without using a multi-swear insult. This isn't a flaw of the series, its an inconvenience for those who think too highly of themselves to listen to swear words.
4. That one review that talks about how Hollywood is obsessed with portraying the United States as evil clearly misses the point of the show. That is, we Americans get things done. A recurring theme in the show is that people need to break the rules to get the job done, and that's exactly how it works now, here, in the real world. The show focuses on Ryan's struggle with that mentality thought the show and I feel gives depth to his character.
5. Lastly, there's another review that says the show portrays the American military as stupid, and how "the boy scouts have better tactics." You gotta remember folks, that this is a political action thriller. This isn't "Black Hawk Down." Like I said previously, I feel once again this show isn't been viewed in the right lens. Are the tactics used in some of the scenes questionable and unrealistic? Yes, definitely. But does literally every other TV Show get this wrong too? Absolutely! Don't put this show on a pedestal.
As to some of the other "reviews" stating how this show always promotes how Islam is great and its cramming it down the throats of viewers, I feel that they're focusing on things to be offended about while they've never been exposed to before. Muslims speak Arabic, what did you expect? Translations are provided for you already.
Also you've got all the, at this point, blatantly racist reviews down at the bottom. With somehow 15 people who found it helpful.
Its all up to you reader, to see for yourself.