Top positive review
How to upgrade from earlier versions (and get 1 yr of payroll)
December 26, 2018
I'm posting this to help everyone save some time with the upgrade.
The good news: What everyone else said is true. I upgraded from 2016 desktop and got 12 months of prepaid payroll subscription.
The bad news is that it's not automatic. You have to call QB, answer some questions and have a little patience (the wait time when I called was 45 minutes!).
1. Download and go through the install procedure. Make note of your 2019 license number and Product Numbers for QB Pro and QB Payroll.
2. Save yourself time by calling direct to QB payroll's unpublished number at (866) 223-5562. Say "Desktop Payroll" at the voice prompt. That should get you right to an agent. NOTE: the payroll department hours are M-F 6a-6p PT. You're out of luck if you call outside these hours. I did that first after waiting on hold for 45 minutes, only to find out that only the Payroll dept. can do the upgrade and they don't work weekends and nights!
3. Explain you purchased QB desktop 2019 with Enhanced Payroll
4. Ask them to suspend your current payroll subscription.
5. They will then give you a new product key. You can see your product key by pressing control-k
6. The updates will take about 5 mins. The agent will wait for you to confirm that the installation completed.
7. By this time you should have received an email confirming that you have cancelled your old payroll subscription. It will have a subject line like: Jane Doe, we canceled your Quickbooks Payroll ....
One final note: as I understand it, Enhanced Payroll is $39/mo compared with Basic at $25/mo. I was on Basic. So when the first year is up, I'll start getting charged the higher rate unless I downgrade to Basic by calling QB Payroll in my 11th month. You may need to do the same.