Top critical review
31 people found this helpful
Fantastic headphones... if you're not using them for what they're advertised for!
on August 7, 2018
- They feel well-built; solid.
- They paired with each other, and with my S8+ quickly and easily.
- Battery life has exceeded my expectations - and, with the convenience of the charging case, I've never been caught with a dead battery.
- The sound quality exceeded my expectations too! There's no latency between the pair - thank goodness! - and they can crank out really satisfying bass with a good fit.
- I've used them for a week and they didn't die. (This shouldn't be noteworthy, except I sweat a lot when I run and I've, sadly, had a couple of cheap Bluetooth headsets crap out on me in under a month!)
Unfortunately, none of this matters, because of one CON:
- The fit.
Even with the included ear tips and wings, I cannot get a reliable fit. When dry, I get an okay fit - but the minute I start moving around, I lose my seal. The minute I start to sweat? The wings become ineffective, and I start to worry that I'm going to lose the entire earpieces. They require CONSTANT adjustment; during thirty-minute runs, I have to adjust each side a couple of times EVERY MINUTE.
This would be fine if they didn't advertise these as being great for running and working out. But they do, and they're simply not good for that.
I even went as far as replacing the ear tips with a compatible set from an old pair of Logitech buds AND buying a pair of ear hooks made for the AirPods. Unfortunately, the Logitech tips didn't fare any better than the tips that Treblab sent with the X5s, and the addon Airpod ear hooks weren't compatible since the stock of these buds is girthier than the stock of Apple's AirPods.)
I wanted to make them work - buying third-party ear hooks ought to prove that! - but they just don't. I'm returning mine, citing a fallacy in the product's description: "The X5 are state-of-the-art earphones that are built to last and to fit snugly in any ear. Use them however and wherever you choose. They’ll stand up to heavy duty use in the gym, while running, cycling, commuting, camping or working."