Top positive review
Nice country-themed magazine with Ree's signature style all over it! :-)
February 11, 2018
To start - I just like the Pioneer Woman style. I love the colors and patterns so even if I don't always eat like a farmgirl - cause we may have a yard and horses but we don't have a cattle ranch to wrangle and whet our appetites! - I still love the look of all of Ree's tchochkes and cooking doo-dahs!
The magazine looks like her show and her line of kitchen and serving wares, so I automagically am happy to flip through it, and to me that is a big part of a magazine - the place it takes you as you read and look at pictures.
I've only read one issue so far and I was sad that this is to be a bi-monthly magazine, so all I can tell you is that the first issue had enjoyable reading material, and the recipes were all things I would eat, but my one thought was that they were all very tried and true basic recipes. My hope for the future is more fast and easy, more make aheads, more lunch recipes and more issues!
For now I give this magazine 4 of 5 stars, but will update after I have gotten through a few issues to see how it goes from here.
It took awhile to gather enough info to update my thoughts since the magazine is delivered bimonthly, but I have felt each issue was getting a little better each time. A little more contnet. A little more into her own with each one.
However after getting the holiday issue the other day and pouring through it - I loved it! - and decided it was time to update if only for the holiday issue alone!
What I loved about Holiday 2018 issue:
1. So much more content than ever! 120+ pages! I kept thinking it was the end but then it wasn't! Woo boo!
2. The ads were tasteful. Meaning for me they made sense for the magazine and they weren't too prolific. I'm not one to think magazines are easy to keep published without help of the money they get from ads, and frankly if the ads make sense to me then I don't mind a reasonable amount of them as I have sometimes found new helpful products I can actually use or purchase for gifts. There are ads about every 5-8 pages of content for the most part. Compared to others this seems very reasonable to maybe even a bit lower than expected. The ads are for foods, kitchen appliances, holiday products and some ladies items like clothes, jewelry and cosmetics. Again it made sense to me. Your mileage may vary!
3. Tons of recipes! Holiday meals, Christmas cookies, everyday easy recipes - nothing too wild but all things that look appealing and doable.
4. I really like the column for double take of one item of clothing as she would wear it and as a family member would wear it. I would love even more of these! It's fun to see the varying ideas from different perspectives.
5. Lots of fun seasonal articles - history, visceral, etc.
6. A number of personal articles that varied from humorous to tearful
If each bimonthly issue continues to supply this much content I will undoubtedly change this review to 5 stars. For now I will continue to reserve that judgment and just say I would nudge this to 4.5 stars if I could. I will come back after one or two more with another update as for now I consider this magazine more than pleasant enough to continue subscribing!
Hope this helps and that you enjoy this issue as I have. :-)