Top critical review
An Okay Monitor with Some Flaws
February 18, 2018
This is an okay baby monitor, but not as good as the HelloBaby monitor I was replacing that is similar in price.
- Better video quality than the HelloBaby monitor, and it does a better job with night vision clarity and with knowing when to switch out of night vision (HelloBaby always seemed to be in night vision mode unless it was in direct sunlight)
- Good range (similar to HelloBaby), I can walk one house down the street in any direction with the parent unit and still get a signal
- Easy to install, just plug in both units and you're good to go
- No way to turn off the video feed of the monitor while still getting the audio feed unless you turn on VOX mode, or turn off the parent monitor completely (a feature of the HelloBaby)
- The "on" light on the baby unit is very bright for how small it is, as bright as the night light I have in the baby's room already, and it shines right in baby's face when mounted on the wall above the crib. I am hoping tape will fix this.
- The parent unit plays a long welcome tune every time you turn it on or off, and it isn't quiet
- The baby unit plays a welcome chime when it powers on. This could potentially wake baby if the power goes off and on.
- The music feature on this is just annoying, and too easy to turn on if you don't want to use it, I'm worried I will accidentally turn it on while reaching for the monitor at night.
- The setup menu and buttons are not intuitive to use, but I won't be in the menu that much
- The audio feed doesn't filter out the white noise machine in baby's room like HelloBaby did, which is disappointing, and makes this less useful when I want to sleep
I've only had this a few days, and may return it if battery life isn't very good, because that would be the last straw for me.