Top critical review
Okay if you want function over form
February 12, 2017
I ordered 8 sets of these in the lighter grey to cover a section of my basement for gym equipment.
* They came very quickly and were well-packaged.
* The mats do provide the right amount of padding needed for a gym.
* I imagine the lighter color does handle the dust/footprints better than the darker color.
* At Amazon's price, it was about $0.92/sq ft.
* 80-85% of the squares have scratches and gouges on them, like they got stuck in whatever machine cut out the shapes and were yanked out.
* Some even have small holes.
* Several of the squares that are slightly lighter in color than the others are also a bit thicker and made the seams very obvious. So, it took some work to get the floor to look cohesive and to strategically place the most-damaged squares where gym equipment will go. (I tried to show this in the attached photo, but it's kind of hard to tell when holding them up.)
I briefly considered returning them for their appearance and height difference, but for what I paid, and the fact that they are going to just get beat up in a gym anyway, I suppose I could do worse. I so still plan to remove some of the squares from the center of the floor anytime we have a party on the other side of the finished basement (it's one big open space), as any kind of high-heeled shoe would easily puncture a mat. I am glad I ordered an extra box, as I was able to fish out the most irregular in appearance and height and use those for my husband's workshop area.