Top positive review
Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbells are my favorite dumbbell, even though they cost more than the more common contoured ergonomic dumbbells
February 8, 2018
I initially only bought this brand because they had 17.5, 22.5 and 27.5, which I couldn't find with CAP dumbbells. Now that I've tried them, the Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbells are definitely my favorite dumbbell, even though they cost more than the more common ergonomic chrome-handled dumbbells. In the attached photo, the Rep dumbbell is on the left, a CAP dumbbell is on the right.
My 2nd favorite, and the second most expensive, are CAP Barbell Urethane Coated Hex Dumbbell with the black handle (Cap Barbell Fitness Urethane Covered Dumbbell Black,35-Pound).
The rest of my 10 pounds to 60 pound dumbbells are mostly CAP ergonomic chrome handle dumbbells (CAP Barbell SDP-035 Color Coated Hex Dumbbell, Black, 35 pound, Single). These are nice enough and cheapest, but they are my least favorite of the three types of dumbbells I own.
Here is why I prefer the Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbells, even though they are more expensive:
1) The Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbells handles have crosshatch cut into it the full length of the handle. You can grip wherever you want or shift your grip, and it is always the same nice grip.
2) The Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbells handles are the same diameter/thickness along the entire length as the THICKEST part of the CAP dumbbell bar. When only holding the center of the bar with the weight horizontal to the ground the entire time (such as bench press) this may not matter. But if you are holding the weights vertical to the ground, which I do on several types of curls, the dumbbell may slide so you are holding it at the end of the bar, instead of the center grip. Or you may simply find it easier to hold the weight on the end for certain exercises when the dumbbell is vertical, instead of the center if your hands get sweaty.
3) Finally, packaging during shipment:
- The Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbells came securely packaged with styrofoam packed between them. The box was wrapped in heavy string embedded packing tape, not just plastic tape. The dumbbells ordered directly from the Rep on the Amazon listing also had four plastic straps around the box for added security. Finally, Rep shipped with UPS, where Amazon shipped most of my dumbbells through the post office. UPS seemed better able to handle delivering heavy packages to the door. Our poor USPS mailperson is not really equipped for 50 pound packages.
- In contrast to Rep's secure packaging; many of the CAP rubber coated dumbbells came with terrible packaging from Amazon. Some were simple wrapped in plastic taped around the dumbbell. Other dumbbells were loose in a box, which broke partway open. I ordered about 20 individual CAP dumbbells from Amazon and I think every dumbbell was wrapped somewhat differently.
They are all nice weights, but if you can afford it, I would upgrade to the Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbells Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbells, 22.5 lb Pair. I am slowly replacing my CAP dumbbells with these Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbells.