This laptop sleeve is very well made, as other reviewers have pointed out. No hanging strings or sloppy stitching whatsoever. The small case for adapter or mouse is also very nice.
The sleeve and small matching case is available in 5 color choices; I ordered mine in the wine red color, the shade of which is just as it is in the ad’s picture. The version of the case with carry handles and side pockets comes in 4 color choices.
The case is indeed attractive; sleek and streamline (see image #1). The seams are encased in wide, rugged binding (see image #2) … very nice. The zipper appears sturdy (see image #3), and has binding that runs along side it (on the inside of the bag) to reduce any risk of snagging or catching on fabric – see image #4. Also note in image #4 how nice, plush, and soft the lining inside the sleeve is, offering great protection against scratches, as well as bumps and bangs. The matching small case for adapter or mouse is also lined in the same plush fabric. It has protective binding along the sides, and the zipper extends from the bottom of one side of the case to the other, and nearly lays flat when fully opened - see image #5.
In one review that I read, the person stated that the sleeve was much too roomy for their laptop. Both the sleeve (no handles) and the version with handles are available in different sizes: 11-11.6” / 12” / 12-13.3” / 14” / 15-15.6”. It would seem that if the sleeve was ‘way too big’ for the laptop, the wrong size case was ordered. I ordered my case in the 13 - 13.3-inch size to accommodate my 13.3 MacBook Pro with Retina. As you can see in image #6 my MacBook (which has a thin hardcover on it) slides right into the laptop sleeve nice and snug, which keeps it from shifting around once the sleeve is zipped up.
I read in other reviews that the sleeve was not truly water resistant and that it soaked water up like a sponge. I tested that for myself. I dropped water onto my laptop sleeve. After waiting 15 - 20 seconds I took a picture of the water, which for the most part had remained beaded up on the surface - see image #7. After taking the picture of the water drops, I used folded paper towels to blot (push down on - not wipe or rub) the water - see image #8. As you can see by image #9, taken immediately after blotting up the water droplets, the laptop sleeve was relatively dry. Perhaps not completely dry, but not wet feeling either. In my opinion the laptop sleeve will provide some protection from dampness. Although the case is not water proof it is relatively resistant to water. It is one of the unique features of neoprene - the fabric from which it is made.
In regards to the odor that some of the other reviews complained about. Yes, I noticed a slight odor from my laptop sleeve as well; the odor was very strong when I sniffed at the sleeve up close. The odor is reminiscent to petroleum, which shouldn’t be surprising since neoprene is petroleum based.
WHAT IS NEOPRENE?
Neoprene is a synthetic polymer resembling rubber, or in some instances, a type of foam. It is resilient to oil, heat, and weathering. In fact, neoprene remains flexible in a wide temperature range, and is considered a good insulator. It also helps absorb impact, and is somewhat stretchy.
Some of the types of products made using neoprene include laptop sleeves, orthopedic braces, outdoor furniture cushions, saddle pads, cycling gloves, and wet suits (for scuba diving).
While the material is strong and enduring, like Superman it does have its kryptonite; there are several common-day chemicals to keep away from your new laptop sleeve. Boric acid, hydrogen peroxide, iodine, lard, palm oil, and urine … all will degrade neoprene if they come in contact with it.
* The Mosiso laptop sleeve (made from water-resistant neoprene) is attractive and streamline; it is sleek and professional looking. Combined with the neoprene material, the layer of polyester foam padding and plush lining will offer good protection for your laptop or tablet against scratches, dings, bumps, and dampness - AS LONG AS YOU REMEMBER TWO IMPORTANT FACTS: 1.) this is a soft sleeve/case and not a hard one. Because it made from fabric and not a solid material, take commonsense precautions and handle your expensive laptop/tablet with care, even when it is inside the sleeve. 2.) even though the laptop sleeve is made from water resistant material, avoid getting it wet. It will offer protection from dampness, a little rain, or a light splash. (In those instances, remove the laptop from the sleeve at your first opportunity, blot the dampness off the sleeve, and make sure it is perfectly dry before returning your laptop to the sleeve.) However, it is a no-brainer that purposely submerging the laptop sleeve in water, or allowing it to get drenched with any liquid with your laptop inside, is not a good idea.
* Both the sleeve and handle versions of this laptop case come in several sizes, with various color options to fit most person’s needs.
* The laptop sleeve and small matching case are both well designed, well constructed, and made from reasonably strong materials. How will this laptop sleeve hold up over time? I’ve only had mine for little over a week, but so far, so good. Only time will tell how it will hold up with prolonged use.
* At $14.99 the laptop sleeve is reasonably priced.
Based on design and workmanship I give this laptop sleeve 5-stars. However, it looses 1 star for the reasons listed under CONS. (I was going to dock 2 stars instead of just 1, but reasoned that it isn’t Mosiso’s fault that I’m so anal about potentially negative elements, due to my ongoing health issues.)
* While confined in a small apartment with windows closed during a rain storm, the odor from the laptop sleeve became more noticeable and more of an issue as time went on. After my eyes started to sting after sitting next to the laptop sleeve for a few hours, I decided to research the fabric that it was made from - neoprene. I discovered that while neoprene has many good characteristics (listed above), it also has a few less desirable ones. Neoprene is petroleum based (thus the strange odor). Also, lead-containing compounds (which can have a toxic effect) are used to prepare finished products made from it. This is why some persons have an allergic reaction when handling or coming in close contact to something made from this material.
While I was offered this laptop case for free or at a discounted price, my review is unbiased and based solely upon my own experience with this product. I was in no way obligated to write a detailed review, or even a positive one. (If doubtful as to my credibility as an unbiased reviewer, visit my public profile page and read the personal message in my bio. Please also note that even when reviewing a product that I received for free or at a discounted price, I do not always rate the product 5 stars, or even 4 stars.)
This review took time to write, but I provided as complete and straightforward a review as possible, along with multiple pictures. Why? Because I am like you. I rely upon the comments and experiences of other consumers when making an Amazon purchasing decision. Thank you.