September 29, 2015
There is something special about Stephanie's program. It is hard to explain, but I will try. I am a former female, collegiate basketball player and I have always been athletic. About a year ago my sister got me in to home video workouts and I started with Jillian Michaels. I purchased many of her videos, maybe 7 I would say, and there were a couple go to videos for me. But, I got bored, stagnant, unmotivated and frustrated.
You see with XTF MAX you get 12 videos in the 90 day program!! Yes, 12 for less than $30. With Stephanie's program I feel like I have a personal trainer in my home. With JM I jumped around the videos...one day cardio, another day a different type of cardio, next day who knows what! But, with XTF MAX Stephanie has it all organized for you. I didn't want to write on the poster that comes with the program so I printed the training schedule from her website. I have ONEonONE, too, so I am doing the training schedule that combines both programs. Each day I record the date I did the workout and highlight the name of the workout. I love being able to see my progress that way. I also too a before picture so I can compare at the end of the 90 days. You can read the details of the program in the specifics of the product, but my point is that it seems that Stephanie is using knowledge of nutrition, anatomy and/or science when she created the program. I have to admit there were times that I was thinking...what is this all about, how is this going to work...but it does!
Right now I am on week 6 and today I just finished day 38. At this point I have not done all the workouts, but I have done the majority of them. Here are some of my pros and cons:
1. 12 videos, so you don't get bored. I love the variety. I also love that you are not working out the entire body every day. It gives parts of your body a rest and again you are not bored.
2. I love that the video has a timer that shows how long the video is and then counts down so you know how much longer you have to go in the workout.
3. The video shows the name of the exercise at the bottom of the screen and a time bar to show you how much longer you will be doing this exercise. Brilliant!
4. Packaging is very professional. All 12 videos in one case. Comes with a poster and an explanation of the program, each workout, how long each workout is. I refer to this often.
5. Before the video begins she explains what this particular workouts goal is. Good info to have!
6. The other girls in that workout with her are realistic. They just look like everyday women. With JM video the girls are so ripped and toned that there is no way I could get that way with just the workout video I was doing. Those girls are working out in the gym, too, or something. But, with XTF the girls show realistic goals.
7. Another thing about the girls...they don't look like the exercises are so easy. I can see arms shaking and sweat dripping.
8. Stephanie has a great personality. I read some reviews that this got annoying to some. Well, JM is annoying to me but I just muted it and listened to music. XTF also gives you the option of hearing her voice or not.
9. Like I said above the training program makes sense. There is reasoning behind the order of workouts. I like that. I need that guidance.
10. Videos how multi-levels so you can choose your own ability. Sometimes I am on 3-4, but there are times I have to stay on level 1, too. And, Stephanie is encouraging that if you need to stop for a second, STOP, but just come back!
11. I have posted a question twice through the contact page and she has personally written back. Very impressive!
1. Some of the videos are long. They seem to average about 35 minutes, but some are 48 minutes. I have very limited time to workout, so this can get frustrating. [One on One videos are shorter, 25 minutes and I LOVE those, but this is not a review for that program. But, I feel like the new program addressed the issue of length in the MAX series]
2. There is some time taken in the videos to go from one exercise to the next. Stephanie explains the exercise before she does it. This is good info to have, but if I have done the workout 3 times I don't need to hear it again and again. My suggestion: explain it while you are doing it. For the most part Stephanie does do this but those times when she doesn't eats up time.
3. I would love to know the weights that Stephanie uses. You can't read a # on the weight and so far I have only heard her mention a weight once. I am trying to just go by how heavy it looks. Knowing the weight would be helpful to get an idea of how heavy my weight should be. Or, if on one exercise it is a 5lb weight, but then she goes to a 10lb weight I would know to go up on whichever weight I am using as well. Sometimes she will say, "go heavy" or "lighter" but I want numbers! My suggestion: show how heavy the weight is on the screen somewhere or make sure it is visible on the actual weight.
4. I feel like my abs are being neglected. I can see a difference in all areas, but my abs. But, that may just be my personal problem with weight loss. My suggestion: make the ab video longer?? I don't really know how to remedy this one. I know on other workouts she says to "zip up your abs" so your abs are getting a workout all the time, but I am not seeing much difference for me. But that could be nutrition as well.
My results so far:
I am 40 years old (41 a week from today), female, married with 3 kids and have always been athletic. Starting the program I weighed 195 lbs and had 25.5% body fat. I was a size 14 and rarely a size 12. I was a size XL and rarely a size L. I won't bore you with my measurements...My goal is not for vanity. I want to be strong and healthy on the inside. At 40, my goal is to lengthen my life, increase energy and prevent injuries. For me, it is not about wearing a bikini or short shorts. I am also a lifetime Weight Watchers member so I do track what I am eating -in my head. I eat fairly healthy, but I love cake and candy and believe me I still enjoy is at least 2-3 times a week.
After 38 days of the program I weigh 192lbs and am 24.7% body fat. Areas on my body that I see/feel a difference: my butt and hips are smaller. My legs are more toned and arms are getting stronger and toned as well. My clothes are fitting better, much better! Shoulders are more toned as well. I wear a size 12 and rarely a size 14 and a size L and rarely a size XL. When working out I feel stronger and have better stamina.
And, I am sticking to it. I don't dread working out each day. On days where I just don't have time I am actually a bit sad. I enjoy my workout time with Stephanie. In the past I would dread doing it, but I knew I had to do it. This is different.
I will most likely come back and do an update as I go through the program. I am almost 1/2 way through! I highly recommend the series and I have recommended it to many people that I know. It is not crazy rigorous -it is doable for all levels and ages.
My biggest problem right now is what to do when the 90 days are up. But, I have written to Stephanie and she said we could talk about that after I finish the program. Nice to know that she is there to help and support.
Great job Stephanie...you and the program are very unique. Keep doing what you are doing! Don't disappear on me!