Top critical review
This Dog Food Is Poison. Almost Killed My 2 Labs.
February 19, 2018
This dog food is POISON. I have been using Blue Buffalo for a couple of years now for my 2 Labs. My dogs aren't too keen on the taste of the Blue Buffalo but I love the fact that it's 100% all natural. So I wanted to give this food a try since it seems to be all natural as well. Upon arrival my dogs saw the bag and couldn't want to get into it fast enough. I opened the bag and mixed the food 50/50 with their other food to ween them into it. Both dogs loved the taste as they picked through the food eating only this new food.
About 2 hours later both dogs started vomiting all over my livingroom floor. I attributed this to them scarfing down the new food so fast and thought they just ate something new too fast and too much. Then the vomiting continued on and off for the next few hours and I noticed one of the dogs looking very lethargic. I knew now something was seriously wrong so I immediately rushed both dogs down to the Emergency vet hospital. By the time we arrived at the hospital one dog was looking lethargic and the other could barely walk. The vet took both of them in right away and with 2 vets and several vet techs working on both dogs at the same time they were hooking up tubes to them, pumping in fluids, administering medications and so on. Several hours later I was told that they couldn't figure out exactly what the cause was and there was a chance the dogs wouldn't make it through the night. Now I must add that besides the fact that these are our beloved pets, one of the dogs is a certified service dog for my disabled son. So I hope you can see how devastated my son was just as we all were.
While sitting in the waiting room one of the vets came out and asked if there was any chance the dogs got into any kind of cleaners or poisons? W don't keep any cleaners in the house besides what is on the top shelf in the laundry room so I knew that couldn't be it. The vet then asked if there was anything new that the dogs could have gotten into or given to them and I explained that we just started them on this new food. The vet asked to see this new food so I had my wife bring down the entire bag for the vet to inspect. He put on some gloves and fished around inside the bag a bit and then dumped the entire bag on to the floor. There was our answer. The bag of dog food was fully infested with MOLD. I couldn't believe my eyes. So now the vet knew exactly what to administer to the dogs to bring them back to health. I was told that they wanted to keep the dogs overnight hooked up to their IV's and that we would get a call in the morning with an update. Not being able to sleep a wink I stayed up all night comforting my son and hoping for the best but knowing that a bad phone call could come at any time.
Finally around 9:30 the next morning I got a call from the vets office. What a relief they are both going to be fine. Still quite ill but safe for them to come home.
Now here's the kicker. I got the vet bill and it was almost $900.00 for the emergency visit, the medications and the overnight stay. HOLY COW. So the next thing I did was I contacted Amazon and informed them of the entire situation from start to finish. I also informed them that the food was POISON and it needed to be pulled from the shelves immediately to avoid having this situation happen to another family. At first I was told how sorry they are for the entire situation. I was then told that they would inform the warehouse to pull the food from the shelves and that they would help me out with taking care of the vet bill. After all this entire situation was their fault and I had all of the evidence to prove it. Well when all was said and done, Amazon offered me a $50.00 credit that can be used only on products that are sold and shipped by amazon. I couldn't believe it. 50 Bucks. That was all. They almost killed my 2 dogs and cost me $900.00 but they felt $50.00 was fair. Totally unbelievable. Then I was told that someone from upper management would contact me within 24-48 hours to see what they could do about helping out with the vet bill. That was last week and I still haven't heard back from anyone. No emails or phone calls. To top everything off....THE FOOD IS STILL ON THE SHELVES AND BEING SOLD TODAY. All I can say to the public now is please...for the sake of your pet, If you love your pet, DO NOT BUT THIS FOOD.
I have now been in contact with my attorney about making amazon take responsibility for this disaster but who knows if this retail giant will ever take any responsibility. Good luck to anyone who uses this food.