Top critical review
May haave poisened my dog.
December 2, 2018
Loki, my Siberian Husky died in late Sept of 2018. He was 12 years old and I had been feeding him Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dog, Beef and Rice Formula, 40 Pound Bag for about a year... The last bag I purchased was on June 18th. He developed a tremor in his hind legs and I assumed it was because of his age. And one day he started walking sideways like he was drunk. I took him to his vet and they said it was probably Vestibular Syndrome but gave me a run of antibiotics "just in case". he had an infection because he was running a little warm. His condition worsened and he was also having issues with bowel movements. I gave him de-wormer. It got to where he could barely stand or walk and he lost weight rapidly. I did check to see if there was a recall on his food. The vet recommended some enzymes for him to help his digestion, absorb nutrients and gain weight and I started adding canned food to his kibble to get him to eat, but he continued to lose weight rapidly and he would only eat a half a can of wet food a day and would not touch the dry food. He eventually couldn't even move his back legs at all and dragging himself around. I ended up putting him down which was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do but he was not getting better and he was suffering.
I never thought about it being bad/moldy food. I gave the left over bag of food to my son for his dogs and he told me tonight that he had been slowly introducing it to his 2 dogs for a week and now they wont touch it and are having diarrhea, tremors and acting lethargic and strange.
Now I'm pretty certain that this was probably a bad batch of dog food. Unfortunately my son did not save the bag so I don't have any control/expiration numbers. But it was purchased on June 18, 2018 around the same time as other complaints. I never considered the food was moldy or bad. I didn't see any visible mold (I scooped from the top of the bag and sealed it with some chip clips) and stored in my bedroom) but I thought I should mentioned it in case anyone else had this problem.
My dog deteriorated very quickly and it may have been this food that killed him. I never thought it could be his food.. I trusted the brand and he always liked it in the past. Now I feel terrible because he suffered greatly and it was probably me that was forcing him to eat moldy/poisoned kibble.
There are multiple complaining about bags being opened and taped shut? Was Diamond aware that there were mold complaints and checking bags or worse removing the moldy kibble and partially refilling the same bags still containing toxic spores? If you suspect this food harmed or killed your dog please say something!