Top positive review
Good Mid-Range Car Starter
March 21, 2019
*Charged to full in about an hour after removing from package. 4 handy lights on the case indicate the amount of charge. Mine arrived at about 75%.
*Packaging was good. There was no damage to the product or accessories and was easy to unpack.
- Has an on/off switch. Can be good or bad depending on the user, but I appreciate knowing I can physically turn it off vs relying on the device to do it for me. Other similar car starters I own don't have this.
- 2 USB-A (one which has a higher 2.1a output) and 1 USB-C ports for powering other devices like phones, iPods, portable gaming devices (Nintendo Switch, etc.), etc. The C port is used to charge the car starter, but can also be used as a power output. This is good, but to be fair, most similar car starters from other makers have the same ability to use the starter this way.
- Fairly compact. Not heavy, but enough weight to not have that cheap feel.
- Flashlight is bright (on par with a typical smartphone flashlight). Don't expect too much distance, but very good within 5-10 feet or so.
- Easy to use. No issues connecting the cables to the starter or the battery terminals. Tested on a 2.2L gas engine that hasn't run in over a month. Didn't get it started on the first try (not surprised since the motor hasn't run recently), but got it going on the 2nd. Did it 3 more times afterward and started up like a charm with plenty of power to spare for more attempts.
- Display on the cables connector shows available voltage.
The Bad or Meh:
- The cables could be a little longer. It's true they don't need to be as long as normal jumper cables since you can place the starter close to the battery, but there may be some scenarios where having another 6-12 inches of cable would be useful. I own 2 other starters, and this one's cables are the shortest.
- Does not come with a storage case. The other two I own and many I've seen available come with cases for easy storage. I'll make do with a bag of some sort, but it would've been nice for it to come with one (seems like this is the standard with other similar products).
- I'm skeptical this could start a larger V8 engine. I'd have to test to confirm this capability. I feel more comfortable taking their word for it with smaller engines. I'll update this review if I'm able to verify.
- This product is by far not the most expensive in its class, but it may not be the best overall value either. Around the same time, I purchased another brand of car starter for $10 less, but it's 1200A, has similar or better performance, and came with a case.
I recommend this car starter. I've confirmed it works reliably on smaller engines right out of the box. Feels like good quality and includes some features available on most other car starters (flashlight, charge other devices, etc.). Not overly expensive.
I can't speak for long-term reliability yet, doesn't include a case, cables could stand to be a little longer, and you may be able to find a better value car starter elsewhere if you do some shopping around.