Top positive review
Smart Looking, Compact, Fast, Ultra Sharp
November 7, 2018
This little puppy works great!
- The pencil points are very sharp: regular lead and red pencils alike.
- The auto stop feature works as it should: i.e., it stops when the pencil is sharpened at its peak.
- Love that it sharpens from the top, instead of the front. The one I’ve been using before Office World’s is larger, clunkier, and sharpens from the front. With the old one, I have to move things out of the way before sharpening a new pencil (7 ½” long). With Office World’s, sharpening from the top there are never any obstructions to work around.
- When plugged in, pencils are sharpened very quickly (a plus, as I test kids with sensory issues, and the noise produced from electric sharpeners can be an irritant for them):
. about 2 seconds to sharpen a pencil having a dulled point,
. about 4-6 seconds to sharpen a pencil having a broken point,
. about 9 seconds to sharpen a brand new pencil.
- The size of the unit is right for a desktop: 3” (base) 5 ¼” tall. Smart looking and relatively compact.
- The container for the shavings holds quite a bit, and it’s easy to see when it gets full. Also, it’s extremely easy to discard the shavings.
- A real plus is the adapter that plugs into a USB port. It does come with the wall adapter, but I’m powering my unit via the USB port in the back of the monitor on my desk. Love that feature!
- In a pinch, operating the unit via battery will work. For regular use, forget it. I tried three different sets of fully charged rechargeable batteries with the result being unsatisfactory.
- The sharpener was never meant to sharpen the thicker 3/8” pencils used, at times, by very young children, and the company makes that clear in their advertising and on the package itself. Instead, the sharpener is meant to sharpen the regular ¼” (6-8mm) pencils. Since I do test very young children, as well, the unit would have been near perfect had it included that feature.