Top critical review
Beware - Installation with Echo Show was impossible - over 10 1/2 hours with Amazon Customer Service
Reviewed in the United States on December 30, 2018
Because of the price point, I was expecting cheesy looking cameras. The exterior fit and finish is fine and the camera video quality is fine too, The cameras however; are tempermental to the point that I recommend not purchasing them. Sorry Wyze, but that is my opinion.
Pairing the 2 units with my iPad took hours on the phone with both the Amazon and Wze customer service rep. But the good news is I got it working. Again, this is with my iPad, not Echo Show (which never worked). The bad news is that it consistently stops working after the iPad and the cameras are shut off/disconnected. The lack of reliability makes the units nonfunctional. Having to pair again the units over and over gets old fast. The root cause of the problem has not been properly diagnosed by either me or Wyze/Amazon.
Now the unbelievable story. For me the cameras were to be used for monitoring my 2 toddler grandchildren. For this purpose I purchased an Echo Show. It is important to understand that we have a family plan with my daughter (who lives 45 miles away) pays the bill ... quite honestly the only bill she pays for us. I think that this is one of the reasons that the units never worked. The primary reason we purchased 2 pricey Echo Shows was for this purpose. The silly capability of turning on my family room and living room lights was not a factor. The functions that are likely to be made available in the future was enticing.
I spent over 10-1/2 hours on the phone with Amazon and Wyze to try to get the Wyze v2 cameras to work with the Echo. Yes I did use the 2.4 ghz wifi. No luck. I obviously was determined to get these cameras working properly. Since I got them to occasionally work with the iPad, I have assumed that there is nothing broken. Had I only purchased 1 camera, I would have been suspect that the camera was broken.
It is difficult to explain the complexity of the issue but I will try because some of the hurdles are important for future customers (with a situation like mine). I will bullet some of the headlines:
- The Wyze Customer Service Reps were Americans who were articulate and basically knew their product. I would give them an above average ranking...albeit a little hard to get them on the phone.
- I have trouble even typing this but the 2 different Amazon Reps were incompetent. They followed scripts, having no insight or experience with the product. They were foreign born and were very difficult to understand. I would estimate that every 3rd sentence had to be repeated to have even a moderate understanding of what they were trying to communicate.
- Here's the rub with their Customer Service Group. They are trained to never allow you to speak with a senior tech. Even though they clearly could be of no help, I never spoke with a senior person with some problem solving experience. Instead, they take notes and forward an email to a senior person who sends back some sort of Robo-Text that is intended to solve the problem. Of course, it never did. The time period between sending the email and communicating the "insightful" solution to me was typically at least 2 days. The suggestions provided by the Senior Tech indicated that they had no insight with my problem. BTW they were pretty good at getting back to me. They are persistent people...which of course is a positive.
- This is important - there is some sort of inherent challenges with adding Echos in a "Family Household Plan".
- When I received the Echo Show, it was preprogramed with my daughters devices who lives 45 miles away in another state. It had their cell phones, Echo hockey pucks, TV, plus something else that I can't recall. It was hysterical that I had all of my son-in-law's contacts and was able to make phone calls (using his phone)...which of course I did as a joke. But the funniest joke was that I was able to play their Echo with any song that I chose. My 4 year old grandson loves it when Alexa tells jokes and the "Poopy Song". Of course that is what I played. I didn't tell the what I was doing for several days...thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to drive them nuts. Can you imagine hearing a quite Echo suddenly start playing the Poopy Song at a high volume (which I controlled). Hysterical.
- I could not delete most of the devices that were my daughter's. To this day, I can control their Echo which is getting kind of old for them ... not for me.
- The Echo was never able to recognize the cameras no matter what commands I gave it (either through the iPad, iPhone or Echo). I am now an expert after 10-1/2 hours of speaking with the Amazon reps.
- I was never able to permanently get the cameras to stay paired with the iPad.
- Everyone is baffled but I think the core issue is the intermingled Amazon accounts. I'd bet on it.
- I did purchase another brand of cameras which work fine and only took 45 minutes to install.
Bottom line is that I can't recommend the Wyze Cameras for the reason's given. But I strongly condemn Amazon as incompetent and I don't state this lightly.
"Forewarned is forearmed."