Top positive review
Amazing Brace, How Sweet the Relief
June 15, 2018
I've never used or bought a back support belt before. I had no idea which one to buy. I looked through many reviews on Amazon before deciding upon this one and I'm happy with my purchase.
I like it for these reasons:
1. It is adjustable and fits me very well. I really like that there is a double layer of adjustable straps, that really helps me find the fit that feels "just right" for me. I ordered a size small and it's perfect for me. I'm 5'7", 133 pounds, with a 31" waist. I included pictures because I always find them helpful and to show that the belt isn't noticeable under clothing, it's even fine under the t-shirt (which is fitted). The dress I'm wearing in the picture is also a small and the belt fit fine underneath. I had thought about buying the Mueller 255 belt because it was a little cheaper but I felt concerned that I might not get as accurate of a fit since the waist range was so much larger. The reviews were also slightly less positive. I'm glad I went with this one instead.
2. The adjustable lumbar pad really makes a difference for me. I tried the belt on without it and my back pain was still noticeable. But with the lumbar pad and adjusting the belt, my back feels so much better! The relief from the pain is well worth the purchase.
3. The belt is well made and very supportive. The structure is just firm enough to offer strong core support without being restrictive.
My plan is to wear this belt occasionally, while walking and driving. I tend to have the most problems while driving. I wore it while on a long walk today and it did get warm/a little sweaty. Not super uncomfortable or surprising considering the weather and distance, but something that may be a bigger issue for some. It does not bother me much. The support is more important to me. Another consideration is that it's possible to move and bend with the brace (especially depending upon how tight you adjust it), but if that's the main purpose there might be other options that are more flexible (but may offer less support, I'm not sure).
Other items from Amazon that I bought to help my back:
* Cushion supports for my car seat (which have helped a lot). One is a wedge shaped cushion to sit on (my seat is slanted oddly and I wanted it to be more even so the wedge cushion made by Clever Yellow works well, and is available on Amazon). The other is a cushion to support my lumbar region, also available on Amazon: "Memory Foam Back Support Cushion - Designed for Back Pain Relief - Lumbar Pillow With Premium Adjustable Strap - Hypoallergenic Ventilative Mesh - Alleviates Lower Back Pain made by Xtreme Comforts." I liked it because it has a convex (rather than concave) shape... most lumbar support cushions seem to be concave and that tends to irritate my back. It was one of the only convex cushions and I love it! It's taller than most, very thick, has a removable cover, and really supports the length of my back. It does push me forward a bit, which I like in my car (I just put my seat back), but that may not be comfortable on a traditional, rolling office chair. I'm going to review both of the cushions on their pages as well. I tried another lumbar cushion by NurtureSoft but it was more concave shaped than I thought it would be and didn't work for me.
* The book Freedom from Pain by Peter Levine. I can't write much about this one yet, as I just received it today, but I'm looking forward to reading it. I've been doing Trauma/Tension Release Exercises (TRE) multiple times a day and they have really really helped me (along with gradually increasing the distance of my walks), so I'm optimistic about learning about other exercises in the book!
* Also planning on buying insoles and new shoes, as well as do Network Spinal Analysis at the chiropractor (a very gentle approach ... traditional chiropractor tends to trigger my body and make the bracing worse). I'm hoping the chiropractor might be able to suggest insoles/shoes and posture-correction apparel as well.
A month ago I was unable to move because of my back pain. It's gotten much better and I have Faith it will continue to do so! Grateful for these supportive products to help me function better along the way!! If you're reading this and in pain you're in my heart and prayers. Hope you feel better soon!!! :)