Top critical review
Caused bladder crystals in my cat
November 5, 2017
- We no longer feed this food to our cat. Although she loves the taste, it caused her to form bladder crystals. $1000 later in vet bills and diagnostics, we have figured out the issue and have a path going forward.
- Unfortuately, while Ziwipeak and other brands say that 98% of their ingredients are meat, this does not mean that 98% of their food is comprised of meat or crude protein. Rather, the other 2% dominate the actual food composition. Their breakdown is around 33% crude protein. We learned that cats should be eating about 45%+ crude protein.
- Wysong Epigen 90 and Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein create the highest crude protein dry foods (at 55-56%). However, since Wysong Epigen 90 updated their recipe, many people have complained that it causes diarrhea and even death in ferrets. Thus, we have stayed away from Wysong and went with Dr. Elsey's. She's been healthy since we put her on RX food then switched to Dr. Elsey's for a month.
- STAY AWAY from dry foods below 45% crude protein.
This is my cat's favorite food.
We feed a mix of: Petcurean Fresh Acres + Ziwipeak air-dried beef + Only Natural Pet freeze dried raw. She sorts this one out of the mix and eats it first. It's like a treat.
- Amazon has had a hard time keeping this in stock for repeated deliveries. My scheduled deliveries have been cancelled before, and I had to wait months for Amazon to restock.
- Extremely expensive, tiny size. Wish they made bigger bags for cats, so you can get more bang for your buck.