Top positive review
Almost perfect. Maybe defective?
May 7, 2018
This is a review of the "New Black" version, which have 10mm drivers. I'm a big fan of SoundPEATS precisely for the value that they bring with their products, and I want to give these 5 stars, but there are a few issues that are preventing it.
- Excellent fit. Straight out of the box, these fit perfectly in my ears. They have a different feeling that the Q12's, which I also really like, but they fit equally well. (This is in comparison to the Q36's, which I couldn't get to fit properly no matter what combination of parts I used.)
- Excellent sound. Definitely the best sound of the bunch. Slightly fuller than the Q12's, which I appreciate, even though I mostly listen to audiobooks.
- Long battery life. I haven't timed how long precisely that I get, but it's all day with no problem. With my amount of use, I'm able to charge them every other day so far. This will vary per user, but they are serving me well.
- Round cable (vs. flat). I just prefer a flat cable. (No star deduction)
- Charging cover does not seat properly. (See picture) I have to jam it in to keep it seated. I think this is defective based on my experience with the Q12 and Q36. It's not a huge deal, but it is a bit annoying. (.25 star deduction)
- Button functionality is non-standard based on every headset I've used. Usually you long press (in my experience to activate Siri). With this headset, you have to double press. It's not a show-stopper, but it takes a little getting used to. (No star deduction)
- Finicky/Flaky buttons. On all of my other headsets (including the Q12), when I pause an audiobook, for example, I'm normally able to resume it with a single press on the play button. This only works about half the time with my headset. Sometimes I have to unlock my phone and press play in the app. Other times I'm able to resume by double pressing a couple of times. Sometimes it's a combination of double pressing and then single pressing. The point is that it is totally inconsistent. This is especially frustrating when I'm doing something with my hands and I don't want to have to reach into my pocket, unlock my phone and press play. (.75 star deduction)
It is quite possible that I have a defective unit. I had a defective pair of Q36's that I returned because people complained that they couldn't hear me. I did not repurchase them because of their poor fit. This pair may be defective as well for different reasons. If SoundPEATS is reading this, I'd appreciate any comments on my experiences. Ultimately, I'm a fan of SoundPEATS, and I recommend them. I just wish my experiences with this pair were slightly better.