Top critical review
More DIY than Advertised. And a splinter, too!
Reviewed in the United States on January 9, 2019
I really wanted to love this adorable wooden house, so much so that when it was out of stock over the holidays, I messaged the seller to see when it would be back in stock. The seller (also manufacturer?) was very nice and prompt. But this is a product review, so onto that:
Let me first state the positive:
(1) It's solid wood.
(2) It's cute, so much so that I think most adults wouldn't feel the need to stash it out of sight (as with most toys).
(3) It's a great size for small spaces.
Sadly, I encountered several issues:
(1) The item arrived damaged--plastic wrap torn and chunk of wood missing from the storage crate. I'm not sure if it was damaged at the factory, at the Amazon warehouse, or by a consumer who returned the product, but since I ordered "new" v. open-box, I'm not pleased.
(2) Three of the pieces had rough spots that had not been adequately sanded. I sustained a splinter handling them myself and thus do not recommend the assembly of this product as a child's activity. Sanding will be necessary to make those pieces child-safe.
(3) Some of the pegs were too large and would not fit into their respective holes. So I had to spend time sanding them down.
(4) Other pegs were too small. Thus the house does not hold together snugly. When I attempted to gingerly move the assembled house from the floor to a high shelf (since it needs further sanding to be safe for play), the whole thing fell apart and the pieces went crashing to the floor. Thankfully, we have carpet, so nothing was damaged. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll need to purchase some wood glue to hold the house together, since it's too unstable to play with otherwise. So I guess it doesn't matter that the storage crate arrived damaged!
Again, the house is adorable, the wood itself appears to be good quality, but the individual pieces need further work to be appropriate for a child's use. An upper-elementary age boy may enjoy a project such as this, but that's not who the house is for.
Judging from the other reviews, it appears as though the house I received may just be a lemon, so I certainly don't wish to discourage others from buying this. Once completed, I expect this to a beautiful piece that children love to play with and that I enjoy seeing in my home.
I appreciate companies like Kubi Dubi making solid wood toys for children and hope that they'll both improve and expand their product line.